Growing up in South Tyrol, the German speaking, alpine part of Italy, Alex Burger worked and studied the last ten years in four different countries and speaks German, English and Italian. He holds a Master’s of Science in Finance & Accounting from the Vienna University of Economics and Business . After some years as an investment banking analyst at a large German private bank, he was drawn closer to home and has been working at SymbiaVC ever since. As an investment manager for the DACH region and Northern Italy, he is responsible for the whole investment process. When he is not working at his desk, he can be found in the mountains skiing, in the family-owned forest or climbing.
- What made you decide to join SymbiaVC?
- The main reason is to act and work in an entrepreneurial way, together with smart and interesting founders. Moreover, I wanted to get more involved within the process of building a company to make a real impact. Additionally, forests and wood are topics I strongly identify with. SymbiaVC was the ideal fit for me.
- What fascinates you about SymbiaVC?
- At SymbiaVC, I can contribute both my experience in investment management and forestry. Through SymbiaVC we enable services and new technologies that have a real impact on this world and for future generations.
- An example of that?
- We are currently cooperating with a company that is developing a technology to detect forest fires at an early stage. Preventing forest fires is crucial, considering that their CO2 pollution accounts to a large extent of global CO2 emissions.
- What distinguishes SymbiaVC from other VC companies?
- There is hardly any other VC company that is so strategically aligned with the wood value chain. As a single LP fund backed by a family, we are much more flexible than others. Of course we have our guidelines, but we can align the investments more demand oriented. We also think rather long-term. To us, healthy development is more important than the fastest possible exit.
- Your favorite tree?
- The sweet chestnut.